August 19, 2014Care for your car and it will save you money!
The average driver could save between £300 and £350 in fuel each year by following some smart driving tips. Care for your car and it will save you money! Here’s how:
Tip One: Regular maintenance
• Getting your car serviced regularly helps to maintain engine efficiency and will extend the life of your car
• Engine oil: make sure you use the right specification of engine oil (check your car handbook)
• Tyres: check tyre pressure regularly. Keeping your tyres inflated to the appropriate level saves on fuel. Underinflated tyres can create more rolling resistance and so use more fuel (check the handbook and increase pressures for heavier loads as recommended)
Tip Two: Travel lighter
• De-clutter your car, empty your boot especially of heavy items and remove roof boxed or racks if they are not being used.
Tip Three: Open your window!
• Use the air conditioning sparingly. Instead of using your air conditioning at low-speed roll down the windows and you will enjoy more than just fresh air. This will also help you save money on fuel.
Tip Four: Reduce your speed and your fuel costs will lower too
• Driving faster does not save you money! Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and sharp braking) wastes fuel so try and anticipate the road ahead. Travelling at 85mph uses approximately 25% more fuel than driving at 70mph.
Tip Five: Switch off the engine
• Turn off your engine when your car is parked. It only takes a few seconds worth of fuel to restart your vehicle. Though do this only when it is safe to do so. Turning your engine on and off excessively, though, may increase starter wear.
Tip Six: Make new friends!
• Slash your travel costs and feel sociable by sharing your commute. More people in one car is an obvious way to reduce your fuel costs. Share with colleagues or link up with a local drive-to-work scheme – see the National Car Share website for information about what’s happening in your area: http://www.nationalcarshare.co.uk/
Tip Seven: Get out of the car and walk!
• Commute to work using the power of you! Cycle or walk at least once a week and you’ll feel lighter on your feet but pleasantly heavier in the pocket. 75 per cent of people in the UK live near a cycle route so visit our website or call our advice line on 0845 602 1425 today to start saving money.
For further information about smarter driving, call The Energy Saving Trust advice line on 0845 602 1425. Why not download the EST’s Fuel your passion free app packed with tips and advice: http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Travel/Fuel-your-passion