Bury St Edmunds
Saffron Walden
Sudbury MOT & Service Centre
Sudbury Tyre Centre
Bury St Edmunds - Agricultural
Find your local branch Call your local branch
Bury St Edmunds
Saffron Walden
Sudbury MOT & Service Centre
Sudbury Tyre Centre
Bury St Edmunds - Agricultural

Latest News

See our latest news

  • Great Prices
  • Honest Advice
  • Unbeatable Service

December 9, 2019Driving Permits & Brexit 2019

With many changes happening throughout the UK, we want to know what road we’re heading down. This month, Treadfirst are here to shed some light on how Brexit may affect UK drivers in the EU.

Brexit Image at a train station

When will the UK leave the EU?
The UK was expected to leave the EU on the 31st of October 2019 at 11 pm but it has now been extended and if no deal is passed by Parliament, the UK will have to leave without a deal on the 31st of January. 

Will people from the UK be able to drive abroad?
This depends on whether or not a deal is agreed upon. If there’s a no-deal, UK drivers driving abroad are likely to require additional documentation other than their UK driving license. 

For more information, refer to RAC.

What happens if there’s a no-deal, do I need a permit to take my car abroad?
It is likely motorists will need an International Driving Permit (IDP), in the event of a no-deal.

There are three types of IDP:

  • 1949 IDP – if you’re travelling to Cyprus, Malta or Spain
  • 1968 IDP – if you’re travelling to all other EU states
  • 1926 IDP – if you’re travelling to Mexico or Somalia (and Liechtenstein, in a no-deal event)

What IDP will I need?
This depends on where you’re going – if you’re travelling to multiple places, you could require all three.

Where can I get an IDP?

The RAC does not issue IDPs, you will need to go to the Post Office to obtain an IDP. If you have a 1949 IDP, you can keep on using this until it goes past its expiry date.  

How long will it take for me to get an IDP?

It should only take you around 5 minutes to obtain an IDP. You can’t book an appointment, it’s a turn-up-and-go basis. 

How much will an IDP cost?

A single IDP will cost you £5.50. 

Why do we need Green Cards?
A Green Card offers a motorist insurance third party insurance cover, this is an international certificate that proves the driver is insured in certain countries. The certificate must be carried at all times when driving as digital copies are not accepted yet. If you are not carrying your Green Card when you reach the country, you will not be allowed to go further. 

For the latest updates and for vehicle assistance – watch this space. Treadfirst has a wealth of experience within the industry, providing great prices, honest advice and unbeatable services including tyre-fitting, MOT test, servicing & repairs plus many more. Contact us today for a first-rate service.

Get in touch today for the best quality advice, competitive pricing and a personal service

Enquire Online


This website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience... moregot it